Sunday, February 8, 2015

Pre-Departure



"Adventure is worthwhile in itself." --Amelia Earhart

"Why China??" 
It seems that everyone expects or demands a different response to this question, but I haven't found the perfect one just yet. For those of you concerned about my academics in relation to China...I am a Political Science major and an East Asian Studies minor. All of the courses I will be taking in China will count towards my targeted studies and I will receive full credit for them. I will be trying to learn as much of the Mandarin language as I can, with very little preparation. 

Aside from my academic profile...I have always known that I wanted to study abroad and explore. I am aware that China, and Asia at-large, is not the most favorable destination for Bucknell students to study abroad in---but that never mattered to me. I based my decision to go to China off of the idea that I wanted to live and study in a country that is completely different than ours. I craved a challenge. There are countless dreams and goals I have associated with China. I'm ready to try new foods and establish a new cuisine...excluding dog or horse (sorry). I will attempt to push my language skills and try to speak Chinese to locals almost everyday. I will try to say "yes" to as many opportunities as possible, while staying safe and healthy. Principle of my goals is the hope that I can bring home a new attitude and perspective. 



 At this point, I feel ready to start my 4 month adventure in the economic hub of a Communist country.

Aside from a few reservations, I am confident that the fruits and legacy of my trip will heavily outweigh the struggles and pitfalls. And hey, there isn't even a drinking age in China! So sit back and enjoy a beer or cocktail with me as you explore Zhōngguó (China) through my lens. 




No comments:

Post a Comment